The Provincial Working Alone Regulations are in effect after regular work hours. During regular hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., there are many people available to assist you in case of an emergency in a classroom or lab. After regular work hours all students utilizing these classrooms and choosing to work alone should be aware of personal safety issues such as accident, injury, or intrusion by outsiders. Students should have a personal safety system in place and take steps to reduce the risks.
If you are working in a classroom after 4:30 p.m. weekdays or on a weekend you should:
- Try always to work with a buddy. There is safety in numbers and an immediate support system in the event of an emergency.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Never let anyone into the building/room who does not have a key/card swipe.
- Report any unusual building activities to Protective Services @ 780-492 5050. This is a free phone call when you use the pay phone at the southeast exit of the Earth Science Building.
- Call SAFEWALK to be escorted safely to your car. Phone 780-492 5563 or 4WALKME.
- If you do plan to work alone you should ensure that someone, i.e. a family member or a friend, knows where you plan to be and when you will arrive home. This person should be prepared to contact you or Protective Services if you are late arriving home. Be sure to contact them if you have a change of plans.
- Consider carrying a cell phone so you can contact someone in the event of an emergency.
- Protective Services offers the Lone Worker’s Service; a service that is available during the evenings and on weekends when you are working alone. Call 780-492-5252 to sign in and sign out. For information regarding their program view their web-page at: Lone Worker
You should familiarize yourself with the various agencies/offices in the Emergency Guide in the front of the University phone book.
Protective Services: 780-492-5050
Call 911 for Police, Fire and Ambulance